History

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL OF THE GOLDEN ROSYCROSS

The International School of the Golden Rosycross began to function in Haarlem, the Netherlands where its center is still situated. In 1924 the brothers Z.W Leene (1892-1938) and J Leene (1896-1968) joined the Dutch department of the Rosicrucian Society founded by Max Heindel in 1909 in Oceanside (California, USA). The brothers soon became the most active members of the society and in 1929 they were asked to lead the Dutch department. In 1930 H. Stock-Huizer (1902-1990) joined the Leene brothers. As a result of their joined spiritual search, they detached from the Rosicrucian Society in 1935. Z.W Leene died in 1938 but J. Leene and H. Stok-Huizer continued the work.

They studied and reinterpreted the ideas and insights of “ancient wisdom” for sixteen years – until the second world war spread to the Netherlands. They referred to the works of the classic Rosicrucians. The starting point of their thinking was the ideal “goodness, truth and justice” and their purpose from the beginning was to create an active group focused on inner Christianity.

In the challenging years of the war (1940-1945) they realized that their work would remain unsuccessful as long as they wanted to accomplish it in the traditional way. As long as the old egoistic or at least self-focused consciousness was trying to interiorize the newly gained universal insights, the result could only be the same as all the 19th were characterized by. That way disagreement, overrated self, exaltation and criticism would overwhelm the new group as well. Pure ideas would become contaminated and ineffective. Therefore the new activity after the war had to stand in a new sign, the sign of the new soul which can develop based on the pure spiritual seed lying in the human heart.

In the middle of the fifties Jan van Rijckenborgh and Catharose de Petri opened the “treasury of hermetic wisdom” for their pupils. They wished to lead the group to a life of liberation through self-(motivated) activity. In addition they intended to uncover, independent from all usual mundane views, the deep insights of the ancient Egyptian wisdom in relation to God, the world and man. This is one of the main pillars of the work of Lectorium Rosicrucianum. One who experiences the first soul radiation inside is filled with a deep joy. Becoming the pupil of Hermes this way, one can reinforce the statement without further ado: “God is light”.

If the work in the focal points of the Rosicrucian School is performed conscientiously by each participant, a new type of human comes into being after a while. Then we can speak of “the great new activity of the Brotherhood for the world”.

The members of the community will then be enriched with opportunities and features that enable them to spread the unalterable truth of the universal doctrine in a new, modern way. This will not only happen through the numerous liberating texts of world literature. If all goes well, it is rather the experience of togetherness and unity on the soul level that will resonate through every venture of the group members. Then the teachings of Hermes and the power of liberation related to him can be delivered in peace and security. And its consequences will soon manifest.

After the death of the grand masters (Jan van Rijckenborgh - 1968, Catharose de Petri - 1990) the management of the Golden Rosycross spiritual school was overtaken by the international spiritual leadership. Nowadays the School of the Golden Rosycross has about 15.000 pupils worldwide, in Europe, North America, South America (especially Brazil), Africa, Australia and New Zealand. 

The history of the School of the Golden Rosycross is fully described in the book Called by the World Heart by Peter Huijs.